Research In Motion’s (RIM) Blackberry Playbook
The latest in the genre is the Research In Motion’s (RIM) Blackberry Playbook. Contradicting its name the Playbook is more about work than play. It targets the entrepreneurial world. The official release of the Playbook is scheduled in early 2011 in North America, and it is expected to enter the international market in second quarter.
Now to talk about the specifications – the hardware and interface, BlackBerry seems to have made no compromises.
Resolution & Looks:
- 7″ LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support.
OS and Processor:
- BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing.
- 1 GHz dual-core processor.
- 1 GB RAM.
In –Built Features:
- Dual HD cameras (3 MP front facing, 5 MP rear facing), supports 1080p HD video recording.
- Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV.
- Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA.
- HDMI video output.
- Wi-Fi – 802.11 a/b/g/n.
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR.
- Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts.
- Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe.
- Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java.
- Ultra thin and portable.
- Measures 5.1″x7.6″x0.4″ (130mm x 193mm x 10mm).
- Weighs less than a pound (approx 400g).
More exciting features to be unveiled on the launch of product. RIM intends to also offer 3G and 4G models in the future.